Monday, August 23, 2010

Why? - Alopecia (V0) (2008)



















This is probably the closest I'll ever come to posting a hip-hop album. I don't even really know where to begin in describing this album. Calling it a blend of indie rock and hip-hop doesn't really seem to do it justice. Every song on this album still seems incredibly unique and original to me two years later, from the deservedly popular tracks These Few Presidents and Fatalist Palmistry to the incredibly catchy opener The Vowels Pt. 2 to the irresistible laziness of Good Friday. Every song on this album is good, and the main reason is Yoni Wolf's brilliant lyrical abilities. Describing the lyrics as abstract would be an understatement for the most part, and yet Wolf's witty one-liners (I sleep on my back because it's good for the spine...and coffin rehearsal), cheeky but honest self-reflection (If I'm not raw, I'm just a bit underdone) or his attempts at channeling love through his pen (I'm lucky to be under the same sky that held the exhale from your first breath) seem to flow naturally throughout the course of the album. It seems like every single song has a lyric or two (or three or four) that just make you stop. Even now, two years after it was released, I'm still marveling at them.

Don't think that this is simply a lyrical masterpiece. The music itself is near quality. Wolf definitely has one of the more unique voices I've ever heard, but I found myself instantly in love with it, whether he's rapping or singing. The hooks are very catchy without obviously standing out, which is a plus for me. The transitions between the more hip-hop orientated tracks and the indie-rock tracks are seamless.

Yours is a funeral I'd fly to from anywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment