Monday, August 9, 2010

Alabama Thunderpussy - Staring at the Divine (2002) (320)


Awhile ago, fellow poster postshoegaze made remark that now that Mandatory Metal Monday is over, the blog can get back to "real music." I treated it like a joke, but it reflects a sentiment that many people have towards heavy metal/hard rock influenced music.

I find my self coming back to these Stoner Metal bands for my "loud and heavy as fuck" fix. I think there's a certain comfort to be found in those heavy down-tuned riffs. And ATP does that flawlessly. Motor-Ready has to be one of the best Metal riffs I've heard, and the rest of the album is equally as awesome. Tracks like Hunting By Echo have an unexpectedly melodic side while simultaneously maintaining that relentless heavy riffing and powerful vocals, and even a mellow(er) track like Twilight Arrival doesn't seem out of place. To make it even better, the album isn't compressed to the point of sounding like complete shit, like many modern metal albums.

tl;dr version - I like this album. I will buy it if I find it. Edit

Great album cover, or greatest album cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment