Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mew - Frengers (320) (2003)


















I promised something weird this afternoon, and I'm going to sort of deliver. I had another album I was planning on uploading that is much weirder, but I decided to go with this one instead.

Mew is a Danish indie/art-rock/dream pop band. The reason that I fell in love with them is that they really are, in my view, completely unique, something I could only say for a handful of bands in my collection. Their sound is difficult to describe or contain within genre boundaries. They will lure you in with their sugary art-pop sweetness, then blow you away with their impeccable dynamics and technical musicianship. And I haven't even mentioned Jonas Bjerre's vocals yet.

I'm not sure if this is my favorite Mew album or not, but similarly to what I did with The Mars Volta, I'm going to start with the one that I think would be most useful to a newcomer. If you like this one, be sure to check out the rest of their catalogue.

In fact, the only weakness Mew seems to have is their album covers (their new one is okay, but this one is bad, and the scary thing is it doesn't even compare to And The Glass Handed Kites. *Shivers*)

She came home for Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment