Monday, July 12, 2010

Parkway Drive - Deep Blue (320) (2010)


Mandatory Metal Monday is day celebrated at the NAE offices (Basement in Idaho) meant to force certain staff to listen to metal. Metal purists often assert that any of the "core" genres of metal aren't "true metal." Fuck those guys. I'm not a particularly big fan of grindcore, hardcore, deathcore, or metalcore, but as far as metalcore goes I like Parkway Drive. I take that back, I just like Parkway Drive. Anyway if you've ever heard metalcore before, Parkway Drive won't sound too unfamiliar. It's important to note that this isn't like Atreyu's brand of easily-digestible mainstream metalcore. Parkway Drive doesn't constantly break into simple melodic choruses and never spout things like "you took me home/I drank too much/because of you my liver turns to rust." Heavy down-tuned riffs, harsh vocals, and breakdowns are what you can expect. That's not to say they are afraid of melody, but it's less apparent than on their last album. Either way, you should give the album a try if you like metalcore. If you don't, then it probably isn't the album that's going to get you into it.

Track list:

  1. Samsara
  2. Unrest
  3. Sleepwalker
  4. Wreckage
  5. Deadweight
  6. Alone
  7. Pressures
  8. Deliver Me
  9. Karma
  10. Home Is For The Heartless
  11. Hollow
  12. Leviathan I
  13. Set To Destroy
THIS IS SURVIVAL! THIS IS MY EXILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment